Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Everything You Need To Know About: The Remix Files

For those of you who may not know this about me; I'm a huge, huge, huge fan of remix's. Many times if presented with the Remix and the OG version of the same song I just dig right in to the remix. Why? Cant say for sure. There's just something about a producer taking a piece of work and presenting it in a different way, the way that he hears it in his head. I've just always found it very interesting to hear how different people interpret different songs. In Hip Hop it's pretty much the equivalent of doing a "cover song" from a band you love and respect. You take something familiar, and put your own fingerprints on it.

This leads us in to the newest segment for the site; The Remix Files. Over the coming months I will be trying to put together completely comprehensive mixtapes of any given producers remix work. My Goal with these tapes is to track down every hard to find remix, and put them all together for everyone to enjoy in one sitting. Hopefully with a little luck I can make it happen.

Some Random info to keep in mind.

1. Please, if you notice I am missing ANY remix from a compilation I urge you to bring it to my attention. Even if you're not 100% sure. I'm more then happy to do the leg work and dig for info on it.

2. No matter how thorough I am, I'm bound to miss some remix's. As such I plan to keep updating the mixes. I'll edit the original post with the updates letting you know what has been added so you can decide if it's worth your time or not. Also I wont make early adopters re-download a whole tape just to get an extra song or two. I'll also up them separately in the comments section bellow each post

3. There are some occasions where producers are credited as "co-producing" a song. for example; while working on the Erick Sermon compilation I ran in to two instances where a one song was co-produced by Parish (labeled as a EPMD remix), and one with DJ Premier (I'm assuming Preemo did the cuts). In both instances I will include these in the Erick Sermon comp. Simply because he had a hand in the remix, and is indeed credited for it. I'll try to point out tracks that are co-produced.

4. As with most anything on my blog. You are more then welcome to share these tapes with other people and sites. All I ask is that I am given credit and you link back to my page. Other then that have at it.

5. A lot of these mix's are super obscure and hard to find. Many time's I can only find mp3's that sound like absolute shit. I'm talking like 50+kbps (*ahem*...Ol Dirty Bastard - Give It To Ya Raw SD50 Remix). If you have a better quality version of a song then hook me up. I'll add it to the tape immediately. Again i'll add these updated songs to the comment section.

6. I will also be doing little mini compilations. Some producers only have like...2 to 4 songs they've remixed. So I might just up those in a little mini file just for the hell of it to hold dudes over for some of the bigger compilations. At some point I'll probably up them all in one bigger file to.

That's all for now. Keep checking back for updates. And as always, enjoy and spread the blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment