Thursday, January 28, 2010

Everything You Need To Know About: The Archives


Thought some of ya'll might find this interesting, for any wondering about my 'archive' I thought I would give you a glimpse inside of my world, here's a chance to see the majority of my collection and where I get the albums I upload for everyone to enjoy.























*first up is the bulk of the cd collection. I have been collecting for many years, pretty much since ive been a child. I've always loved music, and cd's especially. I'm one of the few people left who believes firmly that if you enjoy an artist and his music, then you must support them. I go out of my way to show support to the people I really believe in. This is just as true now as when I started collecting as a kid. I have a lot of rare joints in here, and the majority of it is hip hop. I would say about 80%. A good chunk of it is also Jazz and the rest is made of Rock, County, Techno, random Asian import albums, ect. You name it, it's in here.






















*a few stray albums land over here, but mostly I use it for promo's, mixtapes, burned off cd's, ect. The promo's and mixtapes are usually random albums I get in the mail. I'm sure by now you're familiar with them seeing as how I dedicated a good week or two with hooking you up with some of the best I have.As for the burned cd's, they're either...

1: rare albums ive copped brand new and didnt want to open. Every now and again i'll stumble across a rare gem when digging that is still sealed. I go ahead and burn off a copy ive downloaded (GASP!) and keep the official copy sealed up.

2: albums I flat out cant find or dont own. It's not often I cant track down an album im looking for, but every once in a while some of them get away from me. A few joints I only have on burned cd's, the Rodan album for example ive only ever had a bootleg of. I always wanted an official copy but it'll have to do until I find one

EDIT 8/10/2011: I actually copped that Rodan album! got it for $30. Which honestly I think is an absolute steal. Next project is to track down Megalon's "The Nickle Bag". If anyone knows where I can find out hit me up!

3: if I find some really dope radio shows, podcast, or just random rare shit that doesnt belong on albums or hasnt been put out officially I burn it off. Bootlegs of live performances, live mixes, and everything under the sun.

















*I love wax but admittedly I dont own a lot. What you see there is pretty much all I have. Im a huge fan of singles though. I go out of my way to track down singles simply because im a HUGE fan of remix's, and 90% of the time the wax single will have one (if not 2 or 3) remix's that never made it out on cd or any other format. I have singles from Kool Keith, Pete Rock and CL Smooth, MIC, KRS ONE and a lot of other cats that I really enjoy. Like I said I love remix's so any single I run across that has remix's on it I cop.

















*A neat little grab bag of goodies ive collected over the years. Some very neat stuff in here. My favorite is probably the key chain thats made to look like the brass knuckles from the DJ Muggs and Planet Asia album. Very dope. Also flyers, inserts, stickers, even mints (atmosphere mints at that...dont ask). Just a lot of random stuff ive either gotten at live shows or in the mail.

















*im also a sucker for reading reviews from XXL, Source, Vibe, ect. I had been buying all 3 for pretty much as long as I can remember and it started to eat away at a lot of my space. Magazines take up a lot of room. Sometime around 2004 I came up with the idea of putting together my 'Hip Hop Bible'. I took every review from the years worth of magazined I had and put them in this book. I also took some of the best interviews and sprinkled them in there as well. Leads me to wonder why neither the Source nore XXL has taken all their reviews and bound them up in hard cover books, think how fantastic it would be to have all those reviews at your fingertips? like a hip hop history book. Someone needs to get on that. Yo Source and XXL, hit me up and we can work out the details! haha

No comments:

Post a Comment